Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rascal

Katie let me spend ten dollars on a 'real' bird feeder after my hand-crafted two-liter bottle solution fell apart.  While the bottle appeared to have been destroyed by a strong early spring storm, I wasn't so sure that wind gusts were to blame.  Duct tape should have stood up against wind, right?

It turns out there was more at work than just the weather: our raccoon friend was back!





I have to give him credit; he's kinda bold.  We were introduced to him one night when we let the dogs out and they promptly cornered him on the deck.  After a bit of snarling and snapping, we coaxed the dogs back inside and watched him for a bit.  The hoodlum was raiding our feeder, draining it of sunflower seeds.

I drew a compromise: I left a few kibbles of dog food outside, and brought in the feeder each night.   All was well, until I noticed that our hummingbird feeder was empty the next day...  Surely not Rascal... right?

Wrong.   
He has no shame.
We watched him tilt it, then drink as it dribbled down his arm.

While Katie assures me that the dog food is a big draw for the ants and outdoor cockroaches we're seeing, I maintain that it's Rascal's fault: all that sugary water must have been the cause.  I've decided that Rascal gets a few pieces of carrot from here on out...

No comments: